Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My roofing woes


Since my ridgevent is in my backyard, and we are expecting some rain, I decided to call and get that dude put back on the house. Opening the local paper to the Service Provider section I began
dialing the roofers in order. First, almost all of these are cell numbers that appear to either be the wife or girlfriend with a screaming baby on their hip. Secondly these guy apparently think they have cured cancer or something based on their prices. The first lady says they have to see the roof to give an estimate, which I mostly disagree with in this case. Then she says they have a $200 minimum.

No Thanks.

I called the next dude and he was near my house but needed to call back. He calls back and said he also needs to see the roof but is nearby. He hands the phone to someone else who put my address in their GPS Nav system. Five minutes later they are outside. This dude pulls up in a Ford F-250 FX4 crew cab that is maybe a year old. Five dudes jump out of the truck and the driver shakes my hand and says "where is the vent?"

"In the backyard." I replied

They all run to the backyard.

"You have a ladder?" asks Mr. in-charge

"Yes, why?" from the Captain

"We need it."

I handed my ladder to some 18 yr old kid and he starts climbing my roof while Mr. in-charge is barking orders and having these boys run hither and yon doing I don't know what. I am wondering if this jackass knows I have not hired him at this point. He then looks at me and says

"I'll do it for $200, no big deal"

I tell him "I am still getting estimates, but I appreciate you time."

He says, "I can't come back for that price."

"Other people can." I inform him.


Why does he think he can pull up in a $45,000 truck with five dudes and charge me $200 for about 15 minutes of work?

I did find a dude that said he would do it for $70 which seems fair to me.

No comments: