Saturday, March 03, 2007

Paul Benton Chevrolet and Twin City Mazda


I wanted to take a moment to call out two incredibly terrible car lots in the greater Knox county area. The first lot, Paul Benton Chevrolet, had a gorgeous 2005 Chevrolet Equinox listed online at $14,375. Knowing the average price and excellent safety ratings for this vehicle Mrs. Dude called and asked if the information, including price and mileage, was accurate and whether or not the vehicle was available. The sales-jackass took her name and number then WALKED OUT TO THE VEHICLE, called back and said "Yes ma'am, but it does have 1 more mile on it than listed." We scrambled to clean up our old van, load our flu-ridden family into the car, and headed to Oak Ridge happy that this process of car buying may soon be over. When we got there, a young lady came out and my wife told her we had been dealing with Ben Nichols, and were there to see the Equinox. We walked over to look while she went to get the keys. As she approached me she said "I apologize, but the price on the Internet is incorrect; but we'll sell it for the price in the window." GEE, you'll obey the law, thanks. We demanded to see Mr. Nichols and after a few minutes of saying that it wasn't his fault because:
1. He isn't the Internet manager.
2. Some other company does all their Internet stuff.
3. Today ends in a y.
Not once did he say it was his mistake. When we asked if he noticed the price problem we asked if he had attempted to call us back, of course he didn't. I completely believe this was bait and switch and will certainly be turning them in to the BBB.

Next I head to the "World famous airport motor mile." Twin City Mazda has three Hyundai Sonatas that appear to be competitively priced. I have already driven one, so I just want to know the trade value of my van. I tell the "lot hawk" that I would prefer to finance $13,000 or less and to see what he can do. He fills out the "four-square" customer sheet, and disappears. He comes back ten minutes later with his "manager." First off, the Captain is youngish looking so keep that in mind. This 25 year old manager walks in and says "How are you feeling big man?" I immediately know this guy is a loser and would put his name here if I remembered it. I am 6' tall and weigh a whole 160lbs. I said "I am doing well, how are you?"

He replies, "If we can do your trade and $13,000 will you buy it right now?"

Me: "No sir, I have an appointment with Beaty Chevrolet to drive an Impala after this, but your numbers sound good."

Him: "Why Beaty, just go to West down the road a block."

Me: "Well, because that would be rude."

(during this exchange I am seated, he is standing over me in a small cubicle.)

He sits at this point, crosses his legs, stares at his customer sheet and looks perplexed.

Me: "I like the figures, can you do that? If so, we would test drive this vehicle now and keep it in mind."

Him: " I don't know if I can if you won't make a commitment."

Me: "What does me making a commitment have to do with that?"

Him: (silence)

Me: "Can you not do the math without an instantaneous sale?"

Him: (silence) (confusion)

Me: "I have done this a few times, let's not play games."

Him: "I am not playing games."

Me: " I appreciate your time, have a nice day."

Him: "Well I think we can work..."

Me: " I am done here!" (other customers starting to stare)

Him: " Oh, Mr. (Captain Dude) I really want.." (now I am a Mister and not "Big man")

At this point I pushed past him and his lot hawk to get out the door.

I don't want them to give cars away, but let's be realistic. Dude, you sell cars. You are not smarter than me, I can do math, and know what I want. Don't be condescending to me, and don't try your old-school high-pressure horse crap on people who can do a little Internet research and/or can balance their checkbook. The place where I bought my Pilot was great if you want an nice easy-going experience coupled with some really nice vehicles go to:

Duncan Automotive


maps.google.com
10631 Parkside Dr
Knoxville, TN 37922
(865) 671-1411
Get directions


They will treat you right I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really behind on my blogging