Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Captain crashes


Last night while taking the girls to church I stopped at a particularly busy intersection and waited for the light to change. The light turned green and the Toyota Rav-4 in front of me started to move so I let off the brake. At that moment my oldest daughter yelled something behind me so I looked in the rear-view mirror to see her dancing with some funny sunglasses on. It was at that point I completely destroyed the rear end of the Rav-4. We pulled over in a parking lot and the poor lady said she had to hit her brakes because the man in front of her stopped. When I hit her the car in front of her wast about 20 yards ahead of her, I have no idea why she stopped. As we waited for the police she must have repeated that statement 50 times. When the police came they interviewed her first and listened to the "he slammed on his brakes in front of me story." The cops walked over to me grinning a bit and said "There wasn't anyone in front of her was there?" I told them I hadn't seen any reason for her to stop but acknowledged it was my fault anyway. They chose not to give me a citation. Fortunately the Pilot only needs a little hood work, I wish I could say the same for her Toyota. 10 mph appears to have destroyed her lift gate and at least one rear quarter panel.

P.S. The Captain's wife was very pleased that I chose to drive her car last night. (sarcasm)

No comments: