Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sad fourth for someone


Yesterday I took the family to The Lost Sea in Sweetwater Tennessee, and overall it was an excellent experience. Our tour guide was about 16 and I think this was her first tour alone, but she tried hard. On the way back to Knoxville I was driving 65-68 in the right hand lane on I-75 north and, of course, being passed by almost everyone since no one is capable of obeying the law. One of the people that passed me was a motorcycle rider on a nice big hog doing about 90. When he came to pass me there were three cars in the left hand lane that he was weaving in and out of to get wherever he was going faster. Five minutes later we came upon what was left of him. This poor guy was done with this world, people were slamming on their brakes and swerving into the right hand lane to avoid hitting his body. My wife was on her cell phone and mistakenly looked at him as he lay there. We got the kids to look at the floor then I pulled up next to his body to take a quick look and see if any assistance would be needed as I used to be EMT-b qualified. There was no need to attempt to render assistance, his helmet was in a thousand pieces for about 15 feet and his bike was about sixty yards ahead of his body on the opposite side of the road. His injuries were severe with his face having the most graphic damage, and all of his limbs were completely inoperable. I phoned in the accident to 911 and really just felt my heart break for this dude's family. Later my wife told me that there was a second motorcycle down and I remembered people looking off the side of a bridge as we went by. Had I seen that I definitely would have stopped since I don't think most people have even basic first aid training.

I described that scene to say this, please drive carefully. If you are on a motorcycle your helmet can only protect you at reasonable speeds and reasonable circumstances. If you see a motorcycle give them a wide berth, just tapping a bike with a car is usually fatal. Please don't be in such a hurry, on a 100 mile trip if I am going 65 I will arrive in 1 hour and 32 minutes, if you are going 80 you will beat me there by a whole 17 minutes. Seventeen minutes is not worth your life, or my family having to see you or your victim mangled on the road.

No comments: