Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ford Boycott and "Buycott"


I posted awhile back about Ford choosing sides in the battle which seems to rage on about homosexuality and its place in today's society. I wrote to some of the local dealers, and so far one has written back.

I disagree about the "boycott" of Ford products. Ford made the largest contribution to Christian Radio of any of the Auto makers. Ford, like the United Way, supports many organizations, however they don't agree with all of their programs. Most of the Auto makers support the same organizations that Ford contributes to. Please check and see what General Motors, Toyota, and Chrysler gave to the organization in question.
As for this Dealership, we do not in any way support homosexuality. On Friday mornings for over twenty years we have a Baptist Minister come to our dealership to have services for our employees on a voluntary basis for attendance. Most employees attend. Lesson for this week was "Stay the Course", don't quit when your down. He covered the problems Paul faced as a Christian. (Dealer Name Removed) employees are God fearing Christians who don't deserve to be punished with something Ford did. A boycott hurts their ability to care for their families. Our used car inventory is made up of varied makes other than Ford.
I appreciate the response and agree with many things he stated. I could dispute individual points but why bother.

I also decided to read arguments both for and against this issue and encourage others to do the same.

One side:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/03/ford_antigay.html
http://www.exgaywatch.com/blog/archives/2006/03/afas_ford_boyco.html
http://fordglobe.org/


Another side:
http://www.boycottford.com/
http://www.afa.net/ford052506.asp

Makes for some fun reading on a slow day, and beware the pictures on the pro-gay sites. Different images are definitely used to try and attract different folks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't agree with the Southern Baptist Convention's boycott of Disney and I don't agree with the boycott of Ford. If, as Christians, we boycott over the gay issue, then we have to boycott over every issue. There is no company who will agree with our standards 100%. And in that case we would have to shut ourselves in our closet and never come out.

Captain Dude said...

So, if you have a choice between someone who supports something you disagree with and someone who does not which do you choose? Or it just doesn't matter?

Anonymous said...

It depends on the seriousness of the disagreement. For me, on a scale of one to ten, the gay issue is a one or a two. Now if Ford was funneling their money to Al-Queda, then you can bet that I wouldn't buy didley squat from them.

But let's take the car companies for example. Let's say you boycott Ford because of the gay thing. Who are you going to buy a car from? Toyota, Honda, BMW, VW, Chrysler, and Nissan are all foreign made and therefore probably do not share our values. That leaves you with General Motors, besides Ford the only other US car manufacturer.

I dare say that somewhere General Motors does something that I don't agree with. So if I decide to boycott on that basis then I have limited my car buying options to zero. Then what am I supposed to do. I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face.

jason said...

I remember when churches called for a boycott of grocery stores because they sold beer and a lot of good that did. You cannot go to a grocery store now that does not sell beer.

Why not boycott Blockbuster or Best Buy because they sell Brokeback Mountain? Do you boycott Target because they do not allow the Salvation Army to solicit in front of their stores?

There is no doubt in my mind that homosexuality is a sin, just like adultery, fornication, etc. I don't understand why special significance is given to that sin over other sins. When homosexuals see Christians do they see Christ or the author of Godhatesfags website?

Captain Dude said...

You can't speak to what others see, and the difficult thing for me is that yes all sin is equal to God but the thought is so repulsive to me. That's my weakness though.

To answer your question I rarely shop Target for several reasons including the one you mentioned, and almost never rent movies. In fact I almost bought a rental franchise but could not in good conscience rent movies I objected to.

You may also not win your battles but that doesn't mean you shouldn't fight them respectfully.