Saturday, August 19, 2006

Movie Review (Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby)


This was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Let me start with the stuff I didn't care for and then proceed with the praises. The premise is that of a man who was "born" to race cars. Good build up, and you like his character as he becomes a great unstoppable Nascar driver. He wins and loses and wins again in typical hero style.

What I didn't like:
Gratuitous cussing is a waste of time, especially when you use children for shock value. None of the children's cussing lines made anyone in the theatre laugh, it was a bit sad. There was also needless cussing by the adults but that is quite typical in today's movies.

What I did like:
There are about three thousand riotous one liners that I will have to write down next time I see it. The family elements were pretty good and the characters meshed well. The story, thought predictable, was fantastic too.

The bottom line:
This is NOT a family movie and children should be kept away from it. Very funny for grown us though. I also don't buy into the whole anti-christian or anti-southerner talk I heard. The uses of those elements were quite funny and obviously satirical.

Will Ferrell does a great job, as does the entire cast, of delivering great over-the-top performances.

No comments: