Sunday, August 20, 2006

Katrina Victims


In Sunday's paper I read this article that talks about how many promises have gone unfulfilled after Katrina. Reading the article it doesn't sound like promises weren't kept, it sounds like people aren't happy with the progress that has been made. I respect that argument but don't call it something it isn't. Before I go on, I don't want anyone to think that this was handled perfectly, but I do believe it was fairly decent considering there was no previous basis for response.

People are criticizing the 3 billion dollars that were thrown at the issue saying we could have saved money with competitive bids; I wonder if they realize that we might have saved 10% but had to wait at least a year while the bids were solicited and sorted. I also noted that the President offered two programs that were rejected. One of these programs would have given free jobs training, school, and child care to people. Another would have given free plots of land to folks. Instead they want $30 billion dollars. This was a tragedy for sure, but I feel like some of the victims are holding their hands out and waiting for the big cash to come their way. These people are irritated at the $9 billion dollars given them which translates to $150,000 per homeowner. Someone please try to convince me that there was either $9 billion worth of anything there before and/or that each of these homeowners had $150k in any type of assets prior to this disaster. I want these people to have decent shelter and the basic commodities of life, in short they should be restored to their previous position. This should not be an opportunity for victims to profit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is getting to be the typical American mentality. Waiting for the next hand out. And when you get it, not being satisfied with the hand out. Makes me think of the old saying "beggars can't be choosers."

A similar situation happened here about two years ago. The city tore down an area, and allowed builders to come in and build actual homes for the residents instead of them living in the projects. The residents who were displaced were allowed to purchase these newly built homes for something like $20,000. At first it was the greatest thing in the world.

Not a month later, the lead story in the paper and the news channels was a law suit being filed on behalf of the residents of that community who claimed they were ripped off. The last I checked buying a 100,000 dollar home for 20 is not a rip off.

When you don't have to work for what you have then you will take it for granted.

Anonymous said...

I have been down in Louisiana for two 60 day tours over the past year. I had several government officials tell me that that don’t care how much it cost, they know that WE THE PEOPLE will pay 100% until everything is cleaned up and rebuilt.