Sunday, August 27, 2006

Funeral


Saturday I went to Mr. G's funeral. This man was not famous nor was he wealthy. I would estimate that several hundred people showed up at his funeral. I have never seen anything like that. This man touched so many lives as he tried to witness Christ to everyone he came in contact with. The service was beautiful and stunning, I told my daughters they may never see anything like that again.
Sunday evening as we went through our normal evening routine where the girls shower at 8 then are allowed to read in bed until 830 or 9 when I play the guitar for them. When I took my guitar in Sunday night my 7 year old was writing a note. Here is what she said:
Dear James,
I love you so much!
I wonder why God had to take you?
I am glad I will see you agin.
Thank you for letting me play in your ofiss.
I wis you were here.
Love Jana


And the next page:

Dear God,
Why did you have to take him?
I gess he was hurting so much.
But I still love him so much.
Love Jana
Oddly it was my 5 year old that asked the dreaded "Why did Mr. James have to die?"
It's difficult to explain to adults why bad things happen to good people let alone a child, or so I thought. I told them that sometimes bad things happen to bring glory and honor to God. For example at the funeral 4 or 5 people surrendered their lives to Christ. Several households and hopefully their future generations will now live as Christians. This was all James wanted, and all he lived for. I, sadly, had underestimated my girls; they understood perfectly.

The verses read by the Pastor accurately sum up the life of this man.

The apostle Paul wrote these words to Timothy near the end of his life.

2Ti 4:6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.
2Ti 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;
2Ti 4:8 in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From the mouth of babes.......They perceive more than we give them credit for.