Monday, May 01, 2006

National Immigration Day


Today thousands of immigrants, legal and illegal, are going to boycott shopping and going to work or school. This display is intended to show the American legislators how critical they are to our society. While I welcome immigrants to this country, I only welcome them through the legal channels. Illegal immigrants tend to not pay taxes and send the majority of their income back to their families in some other country. I also don't understand how skipping work and school will display what productive citizens they are or how vital to our economy they might be. I had hoped there would be better organization and the ability to argue their point rather than taking to the streets to protest en masse. Once again I feel that this tactic will backfire. Large crowds that are very passionate about their cause often turn into something violent or are viewed as hostile by those who aren't part of the movement. In my town there is not much impact, five Mexican restaurants are closed and a few stores. Those stores serve predominantly hispanic/latino customers so that is not really affecting anyone's routine.

No comments: