Saturday, May 20, 2006

Movie Review (King Kong)


I am a fan of the original movie even though the entire premise of the movie becomes semi-ridiculous with the whole ape loves a woman undercurrent. I will also admit that I had pretty high hopes for Peter Jackson's remake, I normally try to view a movie with a clean slate but just couldn't this time.
So for my review here is the good:

Jack Black delivered a great performance in a non-comedic role.
All of the actors held their own and played their parts very well.
SOME of the cinematography is absolutely exceptional. ( Island natives scenes, stage scenes, some of the jungle.)


Here is the bad:
WAY too much cgi animation. I understand the need for animated parts, but I am pretty sure the entire thing was shot on a blue screen.
All of the "monster" scenes went a bit too far. It felt like a video game at times.
The exagerration of some of the animals was ridiculous. The bats and some of the "bugs" at the bottom of the valley were plain ludicrous.

Here is the ugly:
Naomi Watts is a pretty girl and actually looked athletic enough for many of the jarring scenes; however, she has a set of choppers that would make Bugs Bunny Jealous.
Adrien Brody was also exceptional yet definitely not the classic "leading man". I actually like to see non-pretty actors sometimes.
Jack Black, 'nuff said.
It was neat to see "plain" looking folks taking the lead and some of the "pretty" actors work in supporting roles

Overall I would not recommend the movie. I feel like Mr. Jackson was kind of going for a Lord of the Rings type of film and Kong just doesn't have enough to work with. I would love to see a version that was more true to the original although, as stated previously, the entire animal person love theme undercurrent is ridiculous to start with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Captain. Too much cgi and way too long. If I want to see that much cgi then I'll watch a cartoon. And if you're going to use that much cgi just make the whole movie cgi. I had the same problem with the most recent Star Wars Trilogy.

Sidebar: Congrats, Captain, on your latest superdude.