Saturday, April 04, 2009

Why Comcast Sucks (updated)


In keeping with my efforts to expose moronic business practices and customer service folks please review the following transcript. I certainly won't switch from $15 to $50 just because this guy says it's the only option.

Problem : Ask Comcast Escalation
Captain Dude > Ask Comcast Escalation
Aerole.38809 > Hello Captain Dude, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Aerole.38809. Please give me one moment to review your information.
Aerole.38809 > I would be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Aerole.38809 > How are you doing today?
Captain Dude > Hi, I just bought an HDTV but only have limited analog service and the picture looks terrible. What do I need to do to take advantage of the TV's capability
Captain Dude > I'm doing well how are you?
Aerole.38809 > I am doing fine. Thank you for asking.
Aerole.38809 > I understand that you have an HDTV but your current package is only analog, is that correct?
Captain Dude > That's correct and I also do NOT have a cable box
Aerole.38809 > I see.
Aerole.38809 > To further assist you, may I please have your full name, billing address, and phone number?
Captain Dude > Captain Dude
Captain Dude > The Fotresss of Not Much Solitude
Captain Dude > 865-123-4567
Aerole.38809 > Thank you for that information.
Aerole.38809 > Thank you for that information.
Aerole.38809 > Captain Dude, in order for you to maximize the capabilities of your TV, you need to upgrade your service level.
Aerole.38809 > We need to upgrade it to digital.
Aerole.38809 > I will be more than happy to help you out with that.
Captain Dude > What's the cost associated with that?
Aerole.38809 > Let me check that for you.
Aerole.38809 > One moment, please.
Aerole.38809 > The monthly rate for the Digital Starter Package is $47.09.
Captain Dude > There is no alternative but to triple my monthly bill? Alternatively, won't the signal have to be digital on June 12, 2009?
Aerole.38809 > I can try to look for a Triple Play Package in your account.
Aerole.38809 > You still have to subscribe to a digital package for you to receive the digital signal.
Captain Dude > I am not interested in acquiring more channels, if I wait until June the picture will look better correct?
Aerole.38809 > The information for DTV transition is in the link that I will give you.
Aerole.38809 > www.dtvanswers.com
Aerole.38809 > The signal will not changed even if it is after June 12.
Captain Dude > To be clear though I cannot get my existing limited package broadcast digitally?
Captain Dude > I have to purchase more channels
Aerole.38809 > By that time Captain Dude, all signals are digital. So basically if you are using an analog service, the reception will not improve.
Aerole.38809 > In order for you to get a better picture quality, you really need to change the service package.
Captain Dude > I currently receive an analog signal, June 12 all signals have to be digital. So doesn't that mean you have to send my existing package via digital and not analog?
Aerole.38809 > We are going to send digital signal.
Aerole.38809 > But if you are still subscribed to an analog service, you will not be able to receive the digital signal.
Captain Dude > June 12th my service will go away?
Aerole.38809 > You will still have your service.
Captain Dude > If I get a cable box now does that improve anything?
Aerole.38809 > But as I have said Captain Dude, you will not be able to view the pictures in a digital format since you are still subscribed to analog service.
Captain Dude > My service has to be digital on June 12th too right?
Captain Dude > That's interesting
Captain Dude > It is not acceptable to require a customer to triple their monthly bill in order to view a quality signal. I will either terminate my service and use an antenna, or use a competitor's promotion. I appreciate your time and assistance.
Aerole.38809 > You are most welcome.
Aerole.38809 > For more information, Captain Dude. You can visit the site that i gave you awhile ago.
Aerole.38809 > Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Captain Dude > Have a great day.
Aerole.38809 > I will appreciate your feedback about the service you experienced with me today. It is our priority to provide you the best customer service. Kindly answer the survey at the end of this chat so we will know how we can improve our service.I hope that I have been helpful in resolving your concern today.
Aerole.38809 > Thank you for contacting Comcast. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.
Aerole.38809 > If you need additional assistance you can find product support information on our Web site at http://www.comcast.com/Support/ http://www.comcast.com/Support/
Aerole.38809 > Have a good day!

Several people have written and explained to me how this will continue to suck after June 12th. I put this in the comments but thought I should stick it here as well. Comxast told me they will "retrograde" signals received after June 12th so they can continue to send analog broadcasts to people who don't pay for digital. As it stands now, I have more channels with an antenna than I had with their service so I am considering dumping cable altogether since I only wanted local channels and movies to look good.

7 comments:

Craig T. said...

Just to give you a heads up, the cable companies will continue to offer analog channels, even after June. The only requirements are that Over the Air be digital, as they are losing the analog frequencies. Rather frustrating, but the cable companies will continue to force you to upgrade to digital if you want digital channels. Even this, though, still has a lot of analog channels. If Comcast is the same as Charter, you have to upgrade to digital to get the HD channels. Over the Air HD is pretty good, but obviously you only get the major networks.

Captain Dude said...

Craig,

Indeed I called Comcast to ask what the dealio was. Buck at Comcast said $60/mo was the best they could do. I stated that this was unacceptable and he chastised me as if I were a child with " I hate to see you buy a Cadillac and not put any gas in it."

I called back later and learned that for an Additional $6.95/mo I can keep exactly what I have but I will have it in analog and digital. The whole thing I am trying to avoid here is more expense and more channels. I liked that someone finally showed me a cheaper option, but I certainly don't need the same channels in analog and digital.

Lastly, to back up your point, they did explain that after June 12 they will "retrograde" their signal in order to sell their overpriced crap. I bought an antenna and I get more channels than I had with their service, bye bye Comcast.

Mike said...

So Comcast blows/sucks because they don't offer what you want at the price you want? By that logic, BMW blows because I can't buy a new car at the sub $5k mark.

Captain Dude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Captain Dude said...

Agreed, BMW also sucks then. They suck because I shouldn't have to pay more. I mean really, why can't we be given a menu and pick the channels we do and don't want with a clear pricing structure? Why are they still selling cable the way the did it 20 years ago?

Anonymous said...

According to Jim Cramer, in a column published in Real Money, "If we can pay for only the channels we want, if we can get unbundled cable stations, the cable bill will drop to a level that will make the cash flow of these companies a frighteningly unpredictable element."

So, if we are to take Cramer's word, it's purely a business decision. A business can't offer certain products if those products ultimately leads to it's demise.

Would it be great if they did? Absolutely. I'd take advantage of it, but they don't. So you pick and choose what you're willing to pay for under the current pricing system. Some choose platinum, some gold, some silver.

The column was published a few years back when the government was set to force cable companies to debundle their channels.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10254921/channel-choice-could-crush-cable.html

Captain Dude said...

Let me say that first the government should leave those businesses alone, no doubt. However, If I could pick and choose which channels I was allowed to watch I would likely subscribe to a higher rate. I realize that I am the minority here as most people simply cave and buy 700 channels so they can have ESPN.