Sunday, April 05, 2009

Finally!

That is a Samsung LN40A550 that I got two days ago quite cheaply. Mrs. Dude noticed the 37" model drop to $849 on Amazon earlier in the week. Further research showed that the 40" dropped to $799. I called HHGregg, because of how well they treated us during the washing machine episode, and they were still $999 when I called. I had decided to buy it from Amazon when I searched Best Buy's site and they were $799 there too. I decided to go look at them and notcied two things while shopping. First Samsung has released a line of LED televisions. If you have not seen one these are somewhat unreal. Secondly, sitting next to the Samsung I went to look at was a Toshiba of the same size fro $100 less. Knowing little about the Toshiba I went home to do some research and couldn't find a great deal of information as Toshiba publishes very little. I called the Powell HHGregg to ask about the difference and the manager said "...you don't want a Toshiba. In fact if you're buying tonight I will sell you that Samsung you're looking at for $695." SOLD! Consistently, in both local locations, HHGregg personnel have displayed extreme willingness to make the customer happy, AND make the sale. This is like the old style of salemanship before used cars and liars ruined it. These people know everything about the products they sell and want you to be happy and come back. The only thing that's weird about the whole deal is that I know they are 100% commission. How the integrity and professionalism is maintained is obviously through good corporate structure and training.

All that said, if you need any electronics go to HHGregg. If you're in Knoxville go to Powell and ask for Stanley.

7 comments:

Mike said...

Nice choice. You won't be disappointed. My dad just bought a TV from HHG and was pleased with the service there as well. I personally don't frequent them because of the "work for commission" aspect, but I've heard nothing but good about them so far.

Captain Dude said...

I normally avoid commission-based sales as well, but they can beat Amazon so why not?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. If you can get it cheaper there, you'd be crazy not to. I bought mine from Circuit City because they had it on sale and had it in stock. Which neither HHG or Best Buy did. HHG always has the best pricing available, but Best Buy (and CC R.I.P) will match those prices. So it's a win win for the consumer.

Mike said...

By the way, how is the HD antenna working out? I've been thinking of getting one for my dad.

Captain Dude said...

The HD antenna is awesome and I may dump my provider altogether. I am considering putting a powered antenna in my attic and moving the whole house to that solution if I can find a cheaper small flat panel for the upstairs.

Gyroi said...

hhgregg would likely have matched the price...did you ask? Good buy either way!

Captain Dude said...

Gyroi,

I bought everything at HHGregg, I think that's what I said up there in the post.