Monday, April 06, 2009

Comcast again


today I learned about the QAM tuner in my TV. I highly suggest reading this link, here is the relevant excerpt:

QAM-based HD programming of local stations is sometimes available to analog cable subscribers, without paying the additional fees for a digital cable box. The availability of QAM HD programming is rarely described or publicized in cable company product literature. If cable providers provide rebroadcasts of locally aired programming, they must also carry rebroadcasts of high-definition digital locally aired programming, in an unencrypted form, that does not require the customer to use leased equipment, per FCC Sec. 76.630 and CFR Title 47, §76.901(a). These usually include the local affiliates for CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and FOX, and the cable providers comply by rebroadcasting them over QAM channels. The law does not require the cable provider to advertise their availability, and the cable customer service representatives are known to unequivocally (and incorrectly) insist to customers that a converter box is mandatory to view any HD channels.
Now, that doesn't say they can't charge for this service, but I was specifically told I had to get "the box." Armed with this new information I decided to have another online chat, see transcript below.

Problem : I need to find out why I cannot receive the clear QAM digital signals at my home.
Captain Dude > I need to find out why I cannot receive the clear QAM digital signals at my home.
May.36768 > Hello Captain Dude, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is May.36768. Please give me one moment to review your information.
May.36768 > Hi! How are you doing today?
Captain Dude > I'm super, how are you?
May.36768 > I am doing fine, thank you for asking.
May.36768 > I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
May.36768 > May I know how long have you been experiencing this problem?
Captain Dude > I bought my new TV saturday and noticed that all DTV cable signals are blocked.
May.36768 > I would be glad to pull up your account to have a better idea of what is going on.
May.36768 > For security purposes, I will need to verify your account information. Could you please provide me the last 4 digits of the social security number that is listed on the Comcast account.
Captain Dude > 1234
May.36768 > Thank you.
May.36768 > Is it alright if I put you on hold for two to three minutes while I access your information?
Captain Dude > absolutely
May.36768 > Thank you very much. I really appreciate your patience on this matter.

May.36768 > Thank you for patiently waiting.
May.36768 > After locating your account it seems that there is a service interruption in your local market at this time. I can certainly understand the inconvenience and frustration this has caused as I know how important your services and time are. We are currently working to have this corrected as soon as possible, however at this time we don't have an estimated fix time.
Captain Dude > This service interruption only affects QAM or all cable?
May.36768 > The effect of the service interruption depends on the extent of the damage.
May.36768 > In your area it could only affect some channels, in some part of the area it might affect the full cable service.
May.36768 > Comcast is working as quickly as possible to complete up loading the update. We appreciate your patience.
Captain Dude > I wanted to make sure there isn't a trap on my cable feed preventing the QAM broadcast from entering my home. I know that several traps are present becasue I onle have the limited basic service.
Captain Dude > Is QAM broadcast for free or is that an additional service?
May.36768 > I would be happy to check that for you.
May.36768 > Please hold for one more moment.
May.36768 > Thank you for patiently waiting.
May.36768 > I apologize for the wait.
May.36768 > It shows that QAM Channel is not available in your current package at this time.
May.36768 > I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Captain Dude > What is the charge to get QAM?
May.36768 > I was able to check my resources and at this time the channel that you are requesting is not available in your area.
May.36768 > Channel requests can be submitted in person at your local Comcast office, or by using our customer feedback form below. Please do not include any written correspondence about your channel lineup with your payment. Comcast continually seeks to improve the viewing and entertainment experience of our customers. Channel requests help us to make decisions about adding to or changing channel lineups. http://www.comcast.com/corporate/customers/contactus/feedback.html
Captain Dude > the FCC requires that you broadcast this, how can you say it isn't available?
Captain Dude > If cable providers provide rebroadcasts of locally aired programming, they must also carry rebroadcasts of high-definition digital locally aired programming, in an unencrypted form, that does not require the customer to use leased equipment, per FCC Sec. 76.630 and CFR Title 47, §76.901(a).
May.36768 > I understand where you are coming from an I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Captain Dude > Is there a local support number I can call?
May.36768 > It is best for you to contact the local office and address that channel.
May.36768 > Yes.
May.36768 > I would be glad to provide your local office information.
May.36768 > One moment, please.
May.36768 > Thank you for patiently waiting.
May.36768 > I apologize for the wait.
May.36768 > I would be very glad to get the Local Office information for you. Here it is:

May.36768 > Center Details
Center Name: Knoxville
Address: 5720 Asheville Hwy.
Knoxville TN 37924
Phone Number: 865-637-5411
Hours: M-F, 8am-7pm. Sat, 8am-5pm.
Captain Dude > Thanks.
May.36768 > You are very much welcome.

May.36768 > Is there anything else that I can help you with today? Please be informed that, you will receive a three question survey after this chat. Kindly take some time to fill it out as we value your feedback about our services. Thank you.
Captain Dude > Thanks, no fear. I like to feedback.
May.36768 > Thank you.
May.36768 > Thank you for contacting Comcast! We appreciate your business
If you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us through Live Chat or E-Mail (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Comcast also offers excellent FAQ and Help forums located at www.comcast.com to help you reach a resolution independently.

May.36768 > Have a great day!
May.36768 > Take care!

The Internet is wonderful.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Yep. Been there. Done that. Got a cablecard for my stay.