Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Vegetarians


A few days ago I was watching Larry King live, more accurately someone turned it on and I was stuck in the room, and the special guest was Alec Baldwin. During the course of the interview Mr. Baldwin states that he is a vegetarian, at that point I wondered how many pounds of lettuce and beans you have to consume to get a second chin like that. Celebrities are pretty people who should mostly shut up when asked to weigh in on anything of importance, see Celebrity Jeopardy. Overweight vegetarians seem odd and also seem only to exist among the not so die-hard sect of the phenomenon. I am cool with people who don't want to eat meat, it's certainly your choice. What I dislike are the goobers who try to convince the rest of us not to eat it. I mean really, I don't go around trying to get them to eat meat so why can't they leave me alone. Here are the reasons I eat meat:

1. It tastes good.

2. That's what those animals are for. What else would we do with all those cows, chickens, pigs and fish?

3. In the right amounts eating meat is very healthy.


It's very difficult to get all the right vitamins without eating meat. Protein, Iron and B12 are especially difficult for the vegan, but you can get it from manufactured sources. The true vegans I have met in the past were not healthy looking folks though I am sure there are a few out there. My point is, I will let you not eat meat, if you will leave me, and my kids, alone when we do eat it.
Why do extreme vegetarian groups protest nude sometimes? That has always perplexed me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only redeeming qualities to Alec Baldwin are his hilarious contributions to Saturday Night Live (back when it was funny).

I would be willing to wager that massive amounts of acoholic beverages consumed by a vegetarian could conceivably cause the Baldwin double chin. Also, it would be interesting to note what type of vegetarian he is. There are those who claim to be vegetarian but still eat seafood. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's liberalism for you.