Saturday, October 28, 2006

Movie Review (The Lake House)


The Lake House is a story about two people who live two years apart and fall in love through their ability to write letters to each other across the time gap. Somehow the mailbox at said location allows them to do this. Their deep love for each other must wait until their lives can somehow cross, and it torments them both. The main actors were absolutely fantastic which was a pleasant surprise since I was expecting Speed 4 or something like it. They both conveyed emotion effectively and kept you engaged in the story. Additionally, the pace of the movie was great, it never had a lull which I rarely say about romance crap. For sure there are some oddities that defy logic, but look beyond to the deeper meaning. There is a plot twist that is fairly easy to discover long before it is revealed, but the ending is still a tense and magical moment that is portrayed well by both the script and the players. There is some breathtaking scenery, but it seemed to flash by too quickly for me, and some of the father son relationship problems were a touch vague but it finally came out in one brief scene.

For me personally, I understood the story on its deeper level and this was the first time I have ever connected to a movie of this type. I am hoping to not make this a habit by watching The Sentinel today. One of Captain Dude's readers will definitely understand that first sentence.

I highly recommend this film.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time taking Keanu Reeves (whoa) seriously. I've seen Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure too much.