Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Captain gets on the Mancow show


Monday morning as I drove in I decided to listen to the Mancow show to see what the day's rant was. Apparently some human remains have been found a few blocks from ground zero and some concerned folks want all construction to stop until everything is recovered. Mancow seemed completely pissed off that Mayor Bloomberg would not halt everything, so I decided to phone in. They screen you pretty carefully and you have to sit on hold for about 15 minutes but it was worth it. My two comments to him were:

The sound bite of Bloomberg sounded like he was saying construction would continue only in areas that had been thoroughly searched. Mancow responded that was not what the Mayor said but I still haven't heard evidence beyond that.

Secondly, I asked about the Sailors, Marines, and Civilians interred at Pearl Harbor. Surely all of their relatives were not ok with them being left in their watery graves, but it is a fitting tribute to their sacrifice and a reminder of why we went to war. I received no answer or comment at all on this statement.
To clear it up, you cannot recover all remains from that type of devastation, and we are not recovering those people. What made them who they are is now gone and in another place. I believe 24 people are missing and presumed dead. For those families I know they seek closure, but truly if they are not dead they do not want to be found.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point about Pearl Harbor. We will never discover the remains of everyone who has died for this country. Think of all the soldiers who died overseas in WWI and WWII.