Monday, October 16, 2006

Mini Mag 2 AA 3watt LED (New Flashlight)


I have been looking to purchase an LED flashlight for about a year but didn't really want to shell out almost $100. One option I had previously considered was the $10-$15 upgrade for my 2AA Mini-Mag but the reviews on the upgrade's durability were poor. Beyond that the batteries in my mini mag burst this summer ruining the flashlight. Before I tell you about the new Mini Mag let me say that if you haven't used these lights in the past they are the best. Virtually indestructible and great performance are things I have come to expect from anything made by Maglite.
Now reading about LED technology before my purchase I understood that there were some negative aspects to converting to the newer technology. The most notable issues are price, and that and LED does not "throw" the beam as far as a traditional bulb. WHATEVER! This light, or "torch" as my friend the Artificial Dragon calls them, was $24 at Lowes and is brighter than the sun. I was looking down into the bulb from about 3 feet away when I first turned it on and my eye still hurts. The best thing for me about the new Mini Mag is that it still has their patented "candle mode" allowing you to convert the front focusing piece into a base by removing it. I do need to check and see if it came with a spare bulb, which has also always been a favorite feature of mine.

No comments: