Thursday, September 27, 2007

Taser Incidents


I wanted to comment on the taser incidents that seem to be headlining the news lately.

Let me start with the video I saw in some university library where a kid entered without his ID at the protest of one of the workers present. The worker followed procedure and called the cops, the cops told the kid to leave. When he refused he broke the law and was subdued with a taser. Perfectly justified and I think they should have used their capiscum spray as well.

The second video I saw shows a drunk woman not complying with a cop, so he zaps her. As she falls out of the frame he is yelling and appears to hit her again with the juice. Proceeding through the video she is completely violent once in the patrol car, so I assume when she went down the first time she was still being aggressive which, to me, justifies the second hit while she was down. While in the car she is trying to kick out the car windows, so she is removed and tasered again before being rendered unconscious. Once again, I think the officer was justified. He shouldn't have to put his hands on you if he doesn't want to and she should have stayed on the ground instead of trying to get up. Once in the car if she had behaved she wouldn't have gotten it again.


The last one is the University of Florida jackass at the John Kerry forum. He clearly did not comply with police when asked to calm down, sit down and shut up. I am a little jaded as I think anyone at a John Kerry forum should be tasered including John Kerry. Beyond that though this kid could have avoided everything that happened to him and he is accountable for what the officers did. I also think the phrase "Don't tase me bro'" was racist and that's why he got it so many times.

If police must cease the use of these devices I recommend they be allowed to start shooting people in the leg when they need to subdue someone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny post taser video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOJ9_CApGfg&mode=related&search=