Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Shut up Donovan McNabb


Donovan McNabb came out with some interesting quotes on HBO's "Real Sports." First off that show is hosted by the somewhat racist Bryant Gumbel, see this post. Secondly, it was two very wealthy black men on a very popular TV show whining about their blessed lives. Here is the Yahoo article please give it a quick read. I agree that what Rush Limbaugh said awhile back was stupid but not racist at all. I also disagree that black quarterbacks are viewed any differently. I never give it a second thought and have never heard undue criticism of any of the QBs, black or white, especially McNabb. I HAVE heard McNabb come out and say something like this EVERY YEAR for the past two or three as his athletic ability begins to decline. It's similar to how TV and movie stars all of a sudden announce they are gay as their popularity wanes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll agree with you that what Rush said was not racist but I'll also say that I agree with what he said. I think the media wants so badly for a black qb to do so well that they bring more scrutiny on them. They call more attention to them because they're black, rather than let them be just another qb. And you're right about McNabb. Every since he's started having injury trouble he's been playing the race card.

I heard a commentator on Jim Rome today say something about this very subject. He said, "When Doug Williams won the Super Bowl with the Skins no one cared that he was black." It all boils down to winning and losing. If you win people, love you. If you lose, people hate you. And lately McNabb hasn't been winning.

He's not actually playing in a player friendly city either.

Captain Dude said...

I see no examples of this extra scrutiny or them wanting black qb's to do well. With the advent of female football reporters they treat all but the elite few the same, like crap, as far as I can tell.

Anonymous said...

I'll agree with your statement. Maybe what I should have said is that media hype, not scrutiny, brings more pressure on black qbs.

Captain Dude said...

We should as the white guys to start committing more felonies to even things out.