Thursday, September 04, 2008

Google Chrome



I am a pretty big fan of Google so I downloaded Google Chrome as soon as it was available to give it a test drive. I have not opened my Firefox browser for a little over 24 hours as of this posting so here are the shortcomings I have uncovered. Let's start with speed, Chrome blazes onto the screen when you execute the program based on it's tiny footprint and lightweight initial payload. It also natively handles any plugins I normally had tyo download and install with my other browsers. That's 2 points for Chrome, status quo for the other dudes. The first few hours I used the browser it was definitely faster, then it began to get slower. Running each browser tab as a separate jailed system process is a great idea, IF your machine has a swomewhat robust processor and a good chunk of RAM. My laptop is not the optimal platform for this and I began experiencing performance issues quickly. I do like that when a plugin fails Chrome kils the plugin and the browser remains resident. Today, the browser couldn't be slower and it's frustrating but that's what beta testing is for and I will resist the urge to go back to Firefox. The most frustrating thing for me is that Chrome does not seem to be capable of using live RSS feeds. I had to put all the blogs I like to read in Google reader which is not the optimal interface since I cannot comment from there. This is an issue I am sure will be resolved shortly or Chrome will disappear since blog dorks have pretty good influence these days. I have heard quite a few complaints about the UI, user interface, but that's just something to get used to. I am sure we will be able to change appearance with skins and options soon enough. The last real issue I see is the lack of configurable user options. This browser appears aimed at the less-than-average skilled home user. Nerds who like to do advanced configuration, debugging, and site testing will not appreciate the inability to get under the hood for the time being. I am sure plugins to correct this will be developed over time. 

Overall I give Chrome a grade of B+ for the concept and a C- for implementation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely download once it makes its way out of beta, but what's with the name "Chrome?" Where did they come up with that?

Captain Dude said...

They explain the name chrome in the comic. Basically it's the border around an application.

Anonymous said...

I also read that Chrome was the name of a Microsoft project aimed at killing off Netscape. Doing a quick search, it looks like it was a "merging of HTML and DirectX [that] will lead to more interactive capabilities for users." I wonder if Google chose this name as a slap at MS?!?