Sunday, August 24, 2008

Movie Review (Into the Wild)


Wow, Sean Penn did something pretty amazing here. Let me admit that I never read the John Krakauer book, so I have no comparison. I do know that this movie was a gut-wrenching ride and didn't attempt to patronize the main character or his family. I was worried that Penn would attempt to idealize or glorify this dude's poor decision making and crippled psyche. The poor kid was damaged early in life and never seemed to learn to cope. He thought he could escape society with his limited outdoors ability and it cost him his life. Chris McCandless was sharp kid that was hurt emotionally beyond repair. That with some very poor decision making was really hard to watch. This movie is worth seeing, but it left me troubled and irritated that someone would waste themselves like this young man did. There are times when you just want to grab the kid and tell him to wake up, he could have done so much good for so much longer.

As a side note, when I lived in Virginia Beach Chris's sister Carine owned the shop where we had our cars serviced. She was one of the nicest people I have ever met and I hate that she had to watch her brother kill himself.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, great movie, painful storyline. Good review!

Anonymous said...

I've passed over this movie on several occasions, but I somehow keep coming back to it and agonizing over whether or not to rent it.

You talked me into it.

Captain Dude said...

Good luck with it, the movie is "Pennish" but that was to be expected. This dude wasted himself for nothing.