Monday, July 07, 2008

Movie Review (28 Weeks Later)


Ok, I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but I like zombie movies. I don't know why, I just do. That said, I don't like just any horror-ish type of movie and was't a huge fan of 28 Days Later like most folks. It was a well-done flick with some decent storytelling. I guess it just had that European feel to it that I don't care for, so I wasn't expecting much from the sequel.

The sequel sucked. Now I see how the original was so good. For sure there were some scenes that were absolutely fantastic. For example, when the "Don" has to abandon his wife in the house of rage zombies and she is looking out the window as he runs away. Very well-crafted scene full of both emotion, anxiety and action. I guees to point out why the film sucked I will use that same scene. We later learn that "Alice" survived that horror but we don't learn how. Don also seems to be much smarter than the other rage zombies too since he is able to be available a the very end of the film for the weird "climax." Additionally, the director of this film tried be do those stupid artisitic camera angles and light-flashing gimmicks at one point when the rage first re-infects the "green zone." Hey dude, this is a horror flick, not art. They manage to kill off most of the main players in pretty boring fashion, gratuitously show Don kill Alice in perhaps the most odd scene ever in a movie and in general the story seems jagged and clunky throughout the film.

Hopefully the third one will be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love zombie movies as well. I liked 28 Days Later but steered clear of the sequel because, well, sequels generally suck. You're right about the European feel to the movie though. That did kind of take away from it.

Have you seen Shaun of the Dead? If you like British humor, check it out. Also the remake of Dawn of the Dead is at least watchable.

Captain Dude said...

Dawn of the Dead was almost perfect, I could have done without the chainsaw in the bus, and the Resident Evil Franchise is also great. Naturally the sequels aren't like the first one but hey it's a video game. I hate British humor, or the lack thereof, I will avoid anything European. I lived there for about three years, so that's a qualified decision.