Saturday, June 16, 2007

Catch Captain Dude on his nationwide tour



The Captain is just back from Arizona and headed to New York in a week. The picture above is where I stayed while in Scottsdale Arizona. The resort is called The Phoenician and it was fantastic. It was definitely not where I belong as a cup of coffee was $9 but the conference I was attending helped subsidize a lot of the costs. I also had the opportunity to catch up with my english teacher from high school, my best friend form that time period, and a teammate from my wrestling team way back when. These people all moved form Oregon to Arizona so I was pretty busy catching up with all of them.

The first night I was there I hiked about six or seven miles, not on trails and at night, into the Sonoran Desert. This was the most unforgiving, harsh terrain I have ever seen. My buddy Jeff has a permit from ASU to collect Gila monsters so that they can be tagged with a geo-locator device and their movements tracked. He had found a total of three in nine previous trips so I didn't have my hopes up. He also said they ALWAYS see rattlesnakes and I greatly fear all snakes so you can understand my trepidation once that beautiful sun started sinking. To sum up yes I was scared the whole time but it was great. We saw one Crotalus Atrox rattlesnake, two scorpions (one real poisonous, one not so much), one owl, and two fighting Gilas. Here is a link to the animals and some shots of the resort where I stayed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty swanky. They're pool is almost as big as yours.