Friday, June 22, 2007

Another Airline Story (United Airlines)


On 06/15/07 I had to book a ticket for one of the many trips I take. On 06/22/07 I noticed that my return flight was leaving to early and I needed to take a flight later that same day, or the next day. I called to make the change for a flight on 06/28/07 and was charged $130 ($100 by the airline and $30 by the booking agency) to change it. I think a $100 fee could be reasonable if there were less than 24 hours before the flight was scheduled, but is unreasonable with a week to re-sell the seat. Every time I am flying there are a million people on "standby" and all the flights are totally packed.

I know they think they have a lot of overhead, but so much of this is electronic that the fee just seems bogus. Last time I flew one of the flight attendants actually asked me if I wanted to buy a $3 bag of M&M's. Who pays that? I mean really, if the food isn't free can't we just videotape how to wear a seatbelt and replace these people with a good vending machine? (<--- made myself laugh with that one)

Anyway, the guy said the ONLY REASON he couldn't refund it was that the transaction was over 24 hours old, They were really sorry about that. So I said gee Punjab (he barely spoke English) I actually see that you just charged my credit card about ten minutes ago so that should not be the reason. This, quite obviously, stumped him but he was polite so we hung up and I wrote to their customer service. Stay tuned for the outcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed and laughed about the vending machine. Then I showed Nathan and he chuckled too. I am still getting a kick out of the middle paragragh. You are great!

Anonymous said...

That's a good point. Exactly what do flight attendants bring to the table that we couldn't take care of ourselves? The only thing a stewardess is good for is (a) a hostage or (b) a discreet way to traffic drugs. I learn everything I know from movies.