Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Don Imus coup


I feel the need to weigh in on the recent events surrounding Don Imus. Before I start, let me say that I am not a fan of his nor have I ever been. I do feel the need to defend the guy a little though.

What he said was, at worst, just a little rude. He has been far more offensive in the past and to be fired for something that is barely even insensitive seems crazy. I realize that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are leading the lynch mob; this should automatically red flag the whole thing as ridiculous. To put this in perspective and try to achieve true equality in our society let's ask the questions that need to be asked.

Would the punishment be the same for a black man/woman?

Have those very words been uttered by those women in their locker room?

Why is there a double standard for people based on skin color?

Why do we not fire every black or Hispanic man for using racially charged speech?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If MSNBC and CBS didn't fire him in the commercial break after his comments, then what he said must not have been too bad. Howard Stern utters way worse statements five days a week.

All this is doing is boosting Imus' reputation. There's no such thing as bad publicity. He'll now command more money on XM or something like that. Case in point Opie and Anthony.