Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My Weekend




Wow I had an interesting weekend. Saturday night we had four families over which totaled about 22 people in my 2000 sq. ft home. Crowds weird me out but I enjoy the company of several of these Fathers and Husbands that I met at a previous church. As is typical I did not have my cell phone with me during the portion of the evening when I was talking to guests or playing the guitar and all that host stuff. Additionally, I had planned to try and be at a different event later that night with a separate group of friends. For whatever reason I walked over to look at my cell phone, which I had forgotten to turn off, and saw a voice mail waiting from someone I don't get to talk to near enough anymore. I knew their family had been going through some tough times together, through my interesting grapevine, and the message was less than inspiring. I decided to abandon my guests, after telling Mrs. Dude, and returned his call. Two hours and fifteen minutes later I hung up devastated at what Satan was doing to their family. Man, that dude can really fool us if we aren't careful. I see this happen, and happening, to so many christian families and they act like it was overnight. This is not true:


We, Christians, have let the world in and oh so slowly we have conceded right and wrong or black and white to shades of gray. If you are a believer, I strongly encourage you and your spouse to do the books above TOGETHER. Read apart from one another you could inadvertently begin faulting your spouse for things unfairly. Read together they provide a tremendous opportunity to move your focus where it should be. That is not what your spouse does or how they act towards you, but rather are you living up to your obligations? Both books are awesome, The Christ Centered Marriage by Neil T. Anderson is a group study book but does have some intimate questions so be prepared. Night Light by Dr. James Dobson is a nightly devotional for couples and also will ask you some hard questions. While we don't often want to answer these difficult or intimate questions about our marriages and accountability I think it's time we did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fell for someone trying to witness to them. It was scary. I'm not around him anymore. God worked that out. But it was obvious to people around us how we felt about each other. It wasn't sexual like in the video. It started out very innocent, but we were grew very attached to each other. He is not a Christian and even though I don't see him anymore I think of him often and even pray for him. It sounds awful. I've been married for 14 years and have never even considered being with another man. We are a Christin family and are very active in church. If you are not careful this kinda thing can happen to anyone. Thank God for his Mercy and Grace. He watches over us and protects us and even keeps us from doing things that would destroy our lives and the lives of others. I'm just glad He is in my life. Thanks for you blog.