Monday, February 02, 2009

Crappy Super Bowl Commercials



What the heck was up with all the completely trashy Super Bowl commercials? My daughters wanted to watch the game and we had to turn it off when the commercials came. I mean really, do you need to see a woman in lingerie during a Doritos commercial? That doesn't make me want Doritos at all. We all expect Go Daddy to be inappropriate and they lived up to their lack of creativity by once again just talking about sex and showing boobs. But let me list some of the other stuff my kids got exposed to before I figured out I had to turn them all off.

The Fast and The Furious trailer showed two women kissing.
NBC Monday showed some sort of sexy lingerie bedroom scene for "Chuck."
TeleFlora had some talking flowers that told a woman that "no one wants to see you naked."

Some will say that these ads had the desired effect as I remember them. Really, I wrote them down after they happened. As usual E*Trade was great with the talking baby and I loved the "Shankopotamus" comment. I should know by now that the NFL is not interested in being a family-oriented show after having to turn off commercials for "The Unborn" during the season.

P.S. The Budweiser commercials were a big let down as well and they are usually terrific.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be fair to the NFL. They did turn down a commercial from an online "dating" service,called ashleymadison.com, that caters to married individuals looking to cheat on their spouses. With the very classy tag line: "Life is short. Have an affair."

Also, a PETA ad that was deemed "too sexual." A marriage equality ad proposed by California after the defeat of Prop 8, and, any and all, gambling related commercials were rejected as well.

So they do have standards......somewhat.