Friday, March 05, 2010

Used Car Shopping



I have been used car shopping for several days now and thought I would share some of the fun I have been having. Yesterday I found a pretty decent, I thought, deal on a 2001 LeSabre but then the whole "good cop bad cop" thing started. As I was looking at the vehicle the guy was all smiles and offered the car for $4900. When we decided we wanted it the thing was $6000. Why can't they just tell you an honest price without some pushy sales crap with $2000 worth of processing fees, taxes and other garbage? It also seems that every car sales man I talk to has a belief that no one on the planet can look up what a vehicle is worth without the tiny book they hold in their pocket. I mean do these guys even need to exist now? It would seem that used vehicles could almost be sold from a vending machine at this point. Yesterday's fiasco actually prompted me to send the guy the following link when he told me I couldn't find a better deal anywhere:

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/overview;_ylt=A2KIRufp.JBL9HQAUQNXc78F;_ylv=3?listingtype=used&make=buick&model=lesabre&modelyearlb=2001&modelyearub=any&askpricelb=any&askpriceub=any&deliverymileagelb=any&deliverymileageub=any&location=37931

I was trying not to be rude but this guy's car was one of at least ten and the most expensive. When confronted with that data, he acted as if no one had ever done this before. I would also caution people to stay away from the "buy here pay here" lots since the only things those men seem to be able to say are "what kind of payment are you looking for" and "it drives out real straight". I don't have any idea what driving straight "means" and I will need the car to also go both left and right to get it back home.

No comments: