Thursday, February 02, 2006

Truckers


Let me start by saying I know how much truckers contribute to our infrastructure by performing their jobs. America cannot survive without these men and women.

That said I also think only about 1/3 of them are actually decent drivers. If you ever listen to channel 19 on a CB they are constantly whining about "4 wheelers". That means you and me in our family vehicles. They constantly complain about us being in their way, which is probably valid since most people around me seem to think they are on a Nascar track. The problem I see is when these giant vehicles are flying down the road at around 80 mph on average. This is compounded by the fact that on hilly terrain they can only go 50 uphill and 90-100 downhill. The drivers are also paid by the mile, so the farther they can go and the faster they can get there, the more they get paid. All of this is a recipe for disaster, if you don't believe me just take a trip on an interstate anywhere, if you survive these giant drowsy speed demons you will probably agree. I think they should start paying these guys a regular salary or just by the trip. They currently are required to keep some sort of log, but apparently it's pretty easy to fake it.

1 comment:

Uptown said...

Hi Captain Dude. When I am not driving my big rig, I am a four-wheeler also. Sure, when I'm out on the road I get frustrated with the behavior of the other vehicles out there, both big rigs and four-wheelers.

Generally, you will find me in the grandma lane. My rig is too big to play footsy with smaller vehicles. I'm the one going slower than the other vehicles. It's the only way to maintain control out on the road.

I report all careless drivers. They make the majority of us look bad. I hardly ever get on the CB. Again, the ones you hear on the CB are not the majority. They are the minority. They just happen to be louder than the rest of us because the rest of us are not on the CB:)

I agree with you 100% that our compensation method should be changed. It is a recipe for disaster. In order for me to support my household, I have to run the miles.

I think that the ones you see behaving badly make up one-third of all the drivers out there. But, having said that, even one truck driver behaving badly makes the rest of us look bad as well.

I just started a blog called Ordinary Folk, which is what the majority of us truck drivers are. Take a look from time to time. I will be posting our experiences out on the road.

My husband and I will continue driving safely and reporting all unsafe drivers. We will look out for you four-wheelers as well.